Originally Posted by DeeDee
We're not playing "shouldas" here. But you shouldn't have to fight and flail behind the scenes to help DS function. He needs to learn the skills to do it without wearing an adult helper into the ground.

Their reasons are bogus. An IEP isn't about how smart the child is; it's about developing academic and functional skills that should be there, but aren't. Here we are talking about functional skills.

Can you talk to the person who manages the program and see if in light of new diagnostic information they can reconsider the probation and work toward teaching him what he needs?
I know you are right, Dee Dee. And maybe I can become more of an activist once I've moved DS through the program. Nothing I've done has been well-received so far, which makes me think that either I'm absolutely HORRIBLE at this, or they are intractable.

He does seem to be making a little progress. I'm doing some kind of unorthodox things (not *that* bad, but things like sending text reminders during the day "don't forget your horn, be sure to stop by Mrs. X class, etc.") Things that aren't perfect but are working a little bit.

He's made a huge leap in terms of: filling out planner (yay!), completing work (yay!), and even turning in some of it without scanning/email.

For second quarter, I'm hiring study skills tutor/after school helper and getting SLP eval (and possible services).

I know it shouldn't be like this but it is...not forever. Once he's out of this MS program there are much more creative options. I think.