Originally Posted by BSM
An update to this gripping human drama. smile

DS had a good day on Wednesday. The LA teacher met one on one with him and they agreed on some accommodations. He can write his stories about animals, and can talk about the animals needs (food, clean water, shelter, avoiding predators) rather than human emotions. DS is still struggling a bit, but overall this is a big win and I am starting to like this LA teacher.

Yesterday was not as good, but wasn't necessarily that bad either.

During morning announcements, DS heard an announcement for a club for a particular type of student. He became upset and left the classroom, because he thought it was discriminatory. He never went to any class all day, and stayed in the office. He did manage to do some assignments, so he didn't have too much homework last night. But he missed a lot of in-class instruction again.

The assistant principal was very understanding. This guy used to be the school psychologist and seems to get 2e. No punishments or repercussions for his behavior.

I actually praised him last night because he didn't get upset, shout or yell at anyone. He remained calm and non-confrontational. This is a step in the right direction. I wish he'd stop missing class, but at least we didn't have another meltdown.

One day at a time.
Good to hear. I just saw this thread, my DS16 a junior in H.S. has a 504 for very similar reasons. One accommodation that has helped over the past year is asking for the teachers to re-framing the question or as as your LA teacher is doing simply finding a different prompt. We also have an accommodation where if DS get's overwhelmed & anxious about a writing prompt he can have extra time to get it done. That break from the cycle with re-framing of the prompt usually does wonders. The extra time often helps because many times he gets to see/hear other student's work and it helps him understand the prompts better.

I've been trying to get DS for years to do this on his own and is he is getting better at it. What I mean by this we talk about how the teachers are primarily trying to get him to write. That most kids like writing about themselves. That he doesn't need to take most prompts quite as literally as he does. So if he can take the prompt and make it less personal. This has not come easy but he is getting somewhere with this.

DS has struggled with this for years but I never really got a handle on it till a year ago.