Originally Posted by eco21268
This kind of relates to the "ask for help" issue, doesn't it? Does DS know how to approach the teacher and explain a situation, ask for help solving a problem (the problem being a missing assignment, in this case)?

Is he getting any help from a SPED teacher? What happens when he has to leave class? Is someone at school working on this with him?

Yes, when in school and upset he will not approach the teacher, and he will often refuse to work with them if they try to help. But, instead of emailing us an assignment or making sure he has it written down, they just stop and give up.

There is a SPED teacher in most of his classes, but we're having issues with her. She sees her role as more disciplinary than helpful, and doesn't try to think on her feet or problem-solve. She sends us long emails complaining about his behavior, but doesn't bother letting us know the assignments.

Also, his IEP states that he should have a set of textbooks for home. My wife emailed the SPED teacher twice and got no response. The third time she quoted the requirement from the IEP and mentioned that it was in his IEP. The next day the textbooks started coming home.

I'm really losing my patience with the school this year. Some teachers seem to be working hard to accommodate him, but others are letting issues snowball.

We have conferences in 2 weeks and I'm still on the fence about calling an IEP meeting.