Originally Posted by greenlotus
Update:
Went to Open House and did a quick chat with the teachers. The social studies teacher stated that she expects good spelling, but will redo the grade if the student writes the misspelled word correctly 5 times. DD can't spell worth a flip (just mentioned it in another post about dysgraphia)so my stomach sank. She sure can spell correctly if she writes her papers online which is another reason to do the work on a computer!!! She has an editor's eye for spelling if it's not her handwriting. Also, I know I wasn't supposed to bring up her 504 per your advice, but no parent was around and the teacher stated something about it so I asked how it was going in class. Next thing I hear from the teacher is that she had read the accommodations, but she understood them to mean that all the work was being done by the parents. What?? I said she must not have received all the info, and then the teacher gave me the big "huh?" look.
Good thing you all gave me lots of good advice.
Question - if she is supposed to do her work on a computer wouldn't that cover the spelling problem?
I'm sure you are aware but you should put into the 504 an accommodation that says she doesn't need to writing the spelling words five times. Not a real effect method of teaching spelling to someone with dysgraphia and it's going to be a lot of busy work.

Even if the work isn't turned in online can it still be typed? It's not too uncommon to include using a computer for essay writing as an accommodation. And I know a lot of students that type almost everything, outlines from chapters, short answer questions unless the teacher tells them it has to be handwritten.

FYI What teachers don't like about typed/emailed work is it's hard to prove it's not plagiarized or copied. Cheating is a BIG deal at DS's high school and it's one of the reasons the teachers prefer hand written work in many cases. Most of the time if a essay is typed at home they required the work to be sent through a website like Turnitin. I have also seen teachers OK typed work as long as there is a handwritten first draft included.