Everything is somewhat developmental. But, within that larger context, retrieval fluency is neurologically-based, so not really something that is essentially age-related. That is, all other things being equal, I don't expect this area to spontaneously catch up to her other neurocognitive skills. (Of course, neurological development is occurring, too, so it's still not impossible that this is asynchrony.)

Yes, it is quite likely to impact early and later reading skills, as well as handwriting, spelling, written expression, and math fact fluency (and downstream math calculations), among other things. Overlearning (many repetitions and additional practice) generally helps the specific skill, but may or may not reduce the effects to the point that there is no noticeable impact, and doesn't really affect underlying retrieval fluency at the neurocognitive level. As she gets older, she may develop her own compensatory strategies. (Many intelligent adults with retrieval vulnerabilities or other processing speed deficits mask the need for additional processing and wait time with various verbal or physical stalling techniques, such as long, meaningless preliminary phrases, pensively tidying stationery supplies before replying, or reflecting/rephrasing the question prior to answering.)

As to the overall question of retention: as I've mentioned before, the research on retention is generally negative or neutral with regard to long-term effects. Avoiding the negative effects appears to be mainly a function of how the family presents it. If you and her other parent can come to a comfortable consensus on your best approximation of what is best for her at this time, and then just move forward with whatever comes, she will most likely take this as a positive experience, regardless of the placement you choose. My personal bias is toward moving forward, rather than repeating, but you know your child better than anyone on this board, and you are also the only ones in a position to influence how she perceives her educational placement, which is the most important factor in whether she experiences it as a good or ill.

So I guess I'm saying, collect as many perspectives as you can, and then just make a decision. (Obviously, following up on any potential learning or sensory problems at the same time.) For your specific child, she will be okay if you're okay.

Last edited by aeh; 08/30/15 06:10 PM. Reason: small clarification, and typo

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...