Originally Posted by ultramarina
What do you mean by slow progress? Is she on grade level? If she is on (or above) grade level, I would most likely keep her where she is. I'm presuming you had good reason to skip, and I think many kids start off slow with reading for some reason. She may suddenly take off very soon.

I am pretty sure she falls within the 'normal' range for her grade, she is just closer to the bottom of that range. And the range within her class is skewed toward the higher end. She wasn't technically grade skipped, we had originally signed her up for a school with a birthday cutoff 3 months later than the school she is attending. When I applied I hadn't even realised she was a month younger than the school's cutoff date. But yes, I thought she was ready to start, and that in the longer term she might benefit from being younger. I have a DS6 at the same school, and he skipped year 1. This is also a factor in our decision with DD as she knows he skipped a year, and for her then to repeat might have a bigger effect on her self esteem than the same decision would if she did not have an accelerated brother.

Supposedly the next year is a big step up academically, but if it really ends up being too much for her, there is always the possibility to repeat year 1.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Is a year of homeschooling an option?

I seriously considered it halfway through this year! but unfortunately, no it is not an option for us.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
I suggest you look at the long view. If as you you predict reading just suddenly clicks for her sometime next year, what will it be like for her in 2, 5 years from now?
That sounds like good advice. Sometimes it would be great to be able to see the future! I could know if she would sink, swim, or fly in year 1. I guess I know that a skip in the future is unlikely, so it might definitely be worthwhile to have her younger if she does end up being strong academically.