Originally Posted by greenlotus
I saw some really great ideas on this forum that would be a help to her if they could be put in her 504 - particularly the idea that she could email all her work to the teachers. It would end the absolute panic and meltdowns we saw this past year when she, over and over again, forgot something on the way to and from school. It's our main problem - the black hole that exists in my car which sucks up all homework, band sheets, etc.

Well, how will they see how this "manifests" itself unless I let DD consistently lose things and have emotional meltdowns all the time? Her anxiety level will go through the roof. The woman will meet with me - how do I work with her?
Sorry for all the posts - school is days away, and I am exploding with questions!!!
Do you have any documentation from last year? I kept a mountain of email.

Is the 504 for ADHD and/or anxiety? In our district, the scan/email homework thing is, evidently, fairly standard for ADHD. Another option (that our coordinator said is also standard) is for the student to turn in all homework at the beginning of the day, to the homeroom teacher, who then distributes it to the team.

Big issue for my DS isn't so much getting the assignments/permission slips, etc., *into* the backpack, but noticing and remembering to turn in. Of course, I have to supervise the entire ordeal--check assignment planner, electronic gradebook, etc., walk him through his entire day verbally and ask "is there anything else," etc.

We were able to get the scan/email accommodations because the teachers do not want to ask for homework, since the kids are supposed to be responsible for this. A reasonable expectation for non-impaired students...but with mine, you could tape an assignment to his forehead and he'd still forget.

For us, the most important accommodations are communication (about assignments and performance), alternative methods of turning in work, and extended time. DS doesn't need extended time to complete things, per se, but I need time to be sure no balls have been dropped.

Is the counselor in charge of 504 drafting and/or compliance? Is there a way to find out what "standard" accommodations for your DD's disability are in that school?

I'm going into 504 tomorrow and am hoping to make the case that I want DS' access rights covered (and not wait for disaster) but will be working with him on the skills needed at home, also.

Sorry this is not very organized--just sharing thoughts. Feeling your anxiety!