DD10 is going into middle school next week after accelerating from 4th to 5th grade last Spring. Frankly, I am trying not be overly anxious about her EF skills when dealing with 8 different teachers. I saw some really great ideas on this forum that would be a help to her if they could be put in her 504 - particularly the idea that she could email all her work to the teachers. It would end the absolute panic and meltdowns we saw this past year when she, over and over again, forgot something on the way to and from school. It's our main problem - the black hole that exists in my car which sucks up all homework, band sheets, etc.
I emailed the 6th grade counselor, and she emailed back "6th grade teachers must learn how the disability manifests in the school setting to be sure that there is something that must be reasonably accommodated. Doctor recommendations are appreciated, and would be considered by the team, but not passed into effect unless truly warranted."
Well, how will they see how this "manifests" itself unless I let DD consistently lose things and have emotional meltdowns all the time? Her anxiety level will go through the roof. The woman will meet with me - how do I work with her?
Sorry for all the posts - school is days away, and I am exploding with questions!!!