Originally Posted by madeinuk
I cannot imagine doing AP physics without understanding intregration, at least. Let alone chemistry where differential equations are necessary.
Is high school/entry-level to college really this remedial in this country'? Really?
NONE of the science classes at my DS's high school require Calculus. Algebra II is the highest class required for any science class and this includes AP Physics.

AP Board offers two tracks of AP Physics:

Physics 1 (full year mechanics without Calculus)
Physics 2 (second year without Calculus, include Fluids, E&M)

OR
Physics C - Physics with Calculus. Two parts to the AP test, can be done in one year or two.

Honestly I think it's stupid that my district doesn't offer Physic C, since they have plenty who take AP Calculus as 11th graders. And physics is actually EASIER with Calculus. But we can't convince the science department. Honestly the new Physics 1 course that started just last year is EASIER than the non AP Physics class since it's really really slow.

Calculus is NOT a High School class. It's a college level course. The fact that more than 50% of the students take AP Calculus at DS's high school and many High Performing High Schools does not make it a High School level course.

First year Chemistry at the local Research University doesn't require Calculus. But to get a Chemistry major you need Physics with Calculus, so if you hadn't already passed Calculus.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/04/15 12:49 PM.