Originally Posted by ultramarina
So, you're saying high school without calculus is remedial? Or, high school without early calculus (what grade?) is remedial? I don't know.

I did not take AP physics, but I did take chemistry (not AP--I don't think it was available).
According to the AP Chemistry Course and Exam Description the math prequisite for AP Chemistry is a second-year algebra course. Here is what they say about AP Physics 1 and 2, which replaces the old AP Physics B that was supposed to be comparable to a non-calculus-based course taken by students not majoring in physics or engineering.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/225589.html
Is there a prerequisite for AP Physics 1?
Unlike AP Physics B, which recommends a prior high school physics course, no prior course work in physics is necessary for students to enroll in AP Physics 1. Students should have completed geometry and be concurrently taking Algebra II or an equivalent course. Although the Physics 1 course includes basic use of trigonometric functions, this understanding can be gained either in the concurrent math course or in the AP Physics 1 course itself.

Is there a prerequisite for AP Physics 2?
Students entering AP Physics 2 need to have developed mastery of the learning objectives described in the AP Physics 1 curriculum framework to be prepared for AP Physics 2. Taking the AP Physics 1 course or a comparable introductory course in physics will satisfy this prerequisite. Students should also have taken or be concurrently taking precalculus or an equivalent course.
AP Physics C still employs calculus: AP Physics C Course Details
This course ordinarily forms the first part of the college sequence that serves as the foundation in physics for students majoring in the physical sciences or engineering. The sequence is parallel to or preceded by mathematics courses that include calculus. Methods of calculus are used wherever appropriate in formulating physical principles and in applying them to physical problems. Strong emphasis is placed on solving a variety of challenging problems, some requiring calculus.
I wonder about labeling AP Physics 1 a college-level course worthy of college credit. Doing so will increase the number AP exam fees students pay.