Originally Posted by ultramarina
Assume that college-going students should get some calculus under their belts in the senior year.

I wonder why this is an assumption we should make? Curious if anyone can justify it. Why is calculus in high school necessary? (Says the woman who did not take calculus in high school--btw, I was admitted to a number of highly prestigious schools without it, but that was then and this is now.)
No we shouldn't assume that all students need Calculus before college nor that all should take it. I agree there is too much an emphasis on all students getting Calculus. But our higher level math tracks in our H.S. need to have the option for students to take Calculus before graduation.

If you want to go into a STEM program in university there is a disadvantage to students who haven't taken AP Calculus in H.S. From admission into engineering/science programs to being able to graduate in 4 years once admitted. Most college programs are set up that if if you do well in H.S. math and are ready to take Calculus as a freshman college you should be fine but the competition to get INTO these programs necessitates kids taking the class. In addition it's a level of math many students CAN take before college.

If you are not planing to go into fields such as math, science, engineering, computer science, pre-med, economics, statistics, and business you probably don't ever need Calculus at all. Most H.S. offer AP Statistics and many students take this instead of A.P. Calculus.