This is a very important question. It's smart of you to be looking into it now. Let me warn you that the district is correct that once you get on a particular math track, it is very difficult to switch because each teach math using different methods. One is more theoretical and the other is more rote.

What I have observed is that there are typically two to three tracks in good school districts. The lower level track is the Common Core track. It is a blend of pre algebra, algebra, and some geometry and other concepts. The child learns a little of each every year but at a deeper level so it's slowed down. If you take this track, be sure to supplement because Common Core students are not taught to memorize math facts or algorithms and really struggle with higher level math. The traditional track consists of pre algebra, algebra, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry/pre calculus, calculus I, calculus II, calculus, III (or statistics, computer science, IB math etc). The Common Core math track makes it very difficult for the child to reach calculus in high school so it's definitely not an option for a math or science prodigy. Opponents of traditional math say children are pushed into abstract math classes before they are devepmentally ready and without the foundation of understanding.

In my school district all children are in the common core math in elementary school through 7th grade, then algebra I begins in 8th grade for advanced learners. If you want your child to begin the traditional path before 8th grade, the child has to take the 7th grade common core test and get at least 95% correct. It's a high bar for even gifted learners. I noticed my school district has stopped offering calculus. Obviously, I'm very concerned.