Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
Until, we as a country, see academics the same way we view athletics, not much will change.

BRAVO - national mentality would have to suffer a MAJOR shift!

Originally Posted by Squirt
I am deeply in the middle of "I chose private school because public wasn't meeting his needs but should I have fought harder for changes?". But, while I fight, what happens to the child? He asked me yesterday if, in a class of only 4 kids, would there be less teasing about being too smart? First I'd heard of it but he had to have heard it at school. Kids will always be teased about something but shouldn't there be some social more that "being smart" is both acceptable and appreciated? After all, these kids don't come out of the womb with prejudices. Someone said earlier that society doesn't value academics and that's true.

Do not feel bad, we had to take our kids from what was being hailed as the "most difficult, highest academics" private school because they were being dumbed down (is this even a word???)

I am off camping ....

P.S. And I agree that we should move this entire thread somewhere, since it has nothing to do with math, LOL smile