How do you and your DS feel about him missing reading time and recess to complete work? If you guys prefer that to having to do it later, that's A-OK. But my DS felt shamed by having to stay in at recess or lunch to finish work

As it turns out, in California (where we are) there is actually a law that says a teacher MAY NOT keep a child in at recess or lunch. This is based on the idea that kids need the down time and physical activity in order to be able to learn when they are in the class room.

Of course, many teachers are unaware of the law, and/or flout it. I mentioned it (calmly) and repeatedly demanded that any uncompleted work come home where I could help DS7 finish it, so he could go play at recess and lunch. It took a while, but finally the teacher complied and (surprise, surprise) things got a bit better for DS and for her in the classroom

Well, DS does not like missing recess or reading time, but it acts as a motivator to get work done. He has always said that he does not see the point of doing the work for the sake of doing work, but I explained to him as a 'respect' issue -- so he atleast does the work.

I did not realize it was a law in California. The teacher has held him back for a maximum of about 10 of the 20 minutes they get for recess. She is frustrated because she knows he can complete the work quickly, just that he sometimes thinks about other things, instead of completing the work.

I will ask for excessive work to be brought back home. Do you turn it around the very next day ?