My DS from birth had an intense need to be in busy places with other kids. Fortunately, our neighbourhood is awash with PhDs, so he didn't stand out, well, quite so much. If your DS - and you! - need to get out there with other people as we did, here's some thoughts to find places with fewer evil glares:

* Avoid activities/ places mostly frequented by first-time moms
* Find open-ended, mixed-age activities (including playgrounds) where people are likely to bring their multiple kids: more experienced, less insecure parents, plus your DS can gravitate to whoever he wants to play with
* Find activities/ places more likely to be frequented by those "PhD types" mentioned above - playgroups or programs at or near a university or museum, for example

And, alas, grow some rather thick skin. As has been noted, you may find your parenting judged. A lot. But here, be welcome!

P.S. With respect to toys, good building toys last forever if you have that kind of kid. There's "little kid" as well as regular versions of Lego/ Duplo, Meccano, tinker toys and K'Nex, as well as Strawz, Zoob, K'Nex and Magformers. Our local consignment shop and garage sales were life savers. A teacher supply store can sometimes get you the much larger sets at less painful prices. Oh, and toy kitchens and train sets also have amazing longevity for many kids.

ETA: Just saw Portia's post, so many memories! Everything she said, but especially WATER. Thousands of hours. Every conceivable form of container and combination to create layers and moving parts and mixing and pouring, oh the pouring! My kitchen cabinetry never recovered, but for my kids it was bliss.

Last edited by MichelleC; 01/23/15 05:45 PM. Reason: Reminded!