I don't post much these days but am adding my $0.02 here. I agree with Bostonian that "love" is a strong word, but I'd say our educational situation here in the midwest is at least a strong "like" at the moment.

We have two kids, twins just turned 15yo, who are freshman in high school. I am not sure about PG or not, but the test scores we do have are DYS level. Their public high school is down the street (<1 mile) from the state flagship university. There has been some very public conflict in recent years pitting the needs of "advanced learners" against social justice at the school - we've benefitted from some resulting changes and there is currently a lull in the conflict. There is always room for improvement, and I am moderately active in keeping constant pressure on the district and school to keep TAG issues on their radar. Here is what we like about the school:

1) many peers who are as strong academically, or even stronger in some areas, than my kids.
2) large enrollment (600 kids/grade) gives my twins space from one another -- they can both take all honors classes in core subjects without having a single class together. Also, there is significant diversity in the student population, especially good for the prickly twin, who is an oddball in so many ways.
3) Mostly good teachers, and some excellent
4) fantastic extracurricular club opportunities
5) within walking distance from home
6) flexibility - when we asked if our kids could work independently in math because their precalc classes were too slow/boring, we met with *no* resistance.
7) in subjects where they have exhausted the hs offerings, in jr and sr years they can take classes at the state flagship (at no cost to us) and count them toward hs graduation requirements.
8) they are challenged in some classes (I am okay if they are not challenged in every class)
9) no tuition

Last edited by amylou; 01/15/15 01:56 PM.