"Love" is a strong word. But since my wife and I could afford to send our three children to private school and do not, our actions suggest that we at least like our schools. Public schools in Massachusetts have a good reputation, and our town's schools have a good reputation within MA. I have occasionally heard people not living in our town say its schools are good.

More than 90% of our high school graduates go to college. At a presentation I asked the high school principal if he had thought of tracking what percentage graduated from college. He was surprised by the question but said it was a good idea. I think lots of people judge schools by how their graduates fare, without adjusting for the kinds of students going there. Since there are plenty of "good schools" based on raw outcomes, there are lots of parents who like the schools of their children, even if their children could be learning more in the time they are spending.

Surveys have found that parents have a higher opinion of their local schools than of American schools in general.