Hi, Triple B! Welcome. I have 2 DC who have been tested, and the school has tried various modifications to meet their educational needs. We cannot speak to the issue of full grade acceleration, because we have not tried this (yet). Hopefully, others can speak to this option.

Because you are a teacher, you are probably already more aware of some of these options than are most parents.

Does your school have a G&T program? If so, what does it consist of?

One issue with grade acceleration: how old is your child for grade? I do think this makes a difference, as it gives you an idea of how much older the students are that your DS's future peers. Also, is red-shirting common in your area? If it is, your DS could be dealing with MUCH older children in the case of a single-grade skip.

As to other methods of accommodation:

*In class differentiation (teacher tries to teach children at various levels): this has NEVER seemed to work well for us.

*Leveled/Whole Class Differentiation: Switch for classes and grouped with other children of most similar level, and each class has its own teacher. This works better if there are many students per grade. If done well, this can provide some increased challenge.

*GATE/G&T Classes: Just having a program will unfortunately not necessarily cure all of your son's need for challenge. It really depends upon the quality of the program. Sometimes, G&T programs are more like "Leveled differentiation," which depending on your child, may not be enough challenge in the long run.

I am sure that other parents can speak to additional options used by their schools. Best of luck to you and your DS!