My wife and I requested that our son, 7 years old and in 2nd grade, take the IQ Test typically given to 3rd graders. So he took the test a while back and we received the results this past week.

A couple days after receiving the results I was cc'ed on an email from the 'Lead AIG Person' for the public schools in my area to my son's teacher, principal, and another person that basically stated that significant differentiation needs to be given to him immediately.

So I assume they will meet, come up with viable options to best meet his educational needs, and then discuss those options with my wife and I.

So, for those who have been through this:

1) what options do you feel they may come up with?

2) what options worked best for your child?

3) what options did you find that didn't work very well for your child?

4) I'm not sure if it is one of the options they will come up with, but what are the positives and negatives of moving him up to 3rd grade?*

* to be honest I'm not sure if I would want this. I'm a teacher and have seen a couple students who have been moved up a grade level and when they reached the middle school level their maturity level just wasn't where it should have been and they don't excel like the year older AIG students. My son is very mature for his age but when I think of him as a 7th grader at the middle school when he's only the age of a 6th grader (if they bumped him up a grade) it concerns me.

Thank you for any and all input you can give!!

My wife and I are so proud of him but at the same time are seriously worried because, by our own admission, are neither one near as smart as he is and worry that we may actually impede his potential...therefore I've got five or so books I'm going to read on raising a gifted child and am searching everywhere for advice

TripleB