Originally Posted by Loy58
Hi, Triple B! Welcome.

Does your school have a G&T program? If so, what does it consist of?

One issue with grade acceleration: how old is your child for grade? Also, is red-shirting common in your area?

Best of luck to you and your DS!

Thank you and I appreciate you giving me several of the possible options they may have for my son.

As far as your questions:
I do not believe his school has a "GT" program. They have a 'nurturing teacher' who works with the gifted children in grades 3 and higher. Before we received the IQ scores I inquired about this person working with my son and was told they would check into it. I don't believe anything became of my inquiry but it may now.

My son turns 8 at the end of March...so I would say he is right in the middle of the youngest and the oldest in his class.

I have never heard of 'red shirting' so I don't believe it is common here.

I'm a middle school teacher (my son's school feeds into mine) and we do not have a GT program at my school. Students are basically grouped based on their Math ability...AIG students are usually in class with 12 to 20 other AIG students (total class size 30).

Three things I currently worry about (other than what I mentioned above):

1) if they say he should be moved ahead a grade do I say yes or no (again, I will take a close look at the post mentioned above)

2) from what I can tell there are not many students very close to his ability level at his school (his 3 teachers so far have been AMAZINGLY AWESOME and are a huge reason he is advanced as he is) so do I consider moving him to another local school, or a private school, that has more gifted students?

3) them putting him on a computer with a program that lets him progress at his own pace (he's got to have that interaction with other students as well as receive direct instruction from the teacher).

Again, thanks for your help and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

TripleB