Originally Posted by aeh
...but I also think that a decent digital piano is not going to introduce irretrievable technical flaws into a young child in a short time (at least, not any more than a poor piano teacher will).

It is reassuring to know that as an experienced pianist, you think starting on a digital piano is not a deal-killer for young musicians.

DD has an excellent teacher who have raised two aspiring concert pianists. She has mentioned a couple of times that eventually, she'd like to see DD practice on a grand piano and she wouldn't mind if we come to her studio as often as we can to practice but I wouldn't want to impose that often so we are exploring alternatives but not with a sense of urgency. DD is only 4, after all and there is so much she can do due to her hand size and strength so I am hoping that we don't have to upgrade until she is tall enough to reach the pedals.

I'd be mad if she decides to quit after we get her a nicer digital piano that costs $3,000+ but we'd be saving over $2,000 a year in tuition so maybe I won't be all that upset.

The biggest problem with owning a digital pianos aside from it not being an acoustic piano is that every few years, they'd release a newer, shiner version and you have to resist the temptation to upgrade over and over. I'm sure you've seen this effect in your household. grin

OP, I'm sorry if if this was more than you ever wanted to read about piano lessons!