Thanks again, indigo. Updates:
we are now connected to all the online tools the school has to offer. Even DS didn't know the science homework was beautifully tucked in online,,as well as some answer keys!

I am keeping my own assignment notebook, believe it or not, with DS' assignments from the websites, and

when he comes home we go over his and mine, and I add to mine anything he was assigned verbally at school. We talk about his schedule and homework plan for the evening over a snack.

Over the snack I also ask about each assignment that was due that day. And I ask about overdue things he was supposed to turn in. AHA moment: this is very hard for him, because he has to actually place himself in front of the teacher and risk being told "you're late". This is the part that really makes me tear my hair out. At the risk of being a helicopter, I email the teacher of the "late work" and suggest that if DS doesn't turn it in the next day, to ask for it. So far they haven't banned my emails, and typically do ask.

I was,leaving him to,his own devices for AP chem and pre-calc, since they are out of my league. But today when he was having trouble with enthalpy, I googled it and found a khan academy video. He of course insisted he didn't get it 5 seconds in. I suggested he watch it all the way through, then again. 10 minutes later he came to tell me he got it, and could now go on to do the problems. Whew!

I'm reading his English class novel. In the past I'd already read them years ago, or just can't for some reason. But reading it fresh at the same time is fun, we talk about where we are and what's going on. And, I can't believe I never read this classic, it's enthralling.

He really doesn't want me to help with his world language, and it's a language I speak! We use it a bit at home for fun. But I guess he wants to keep it that way. Oh well, he's doing fine in it, so I'll just be sure he's keeping up with the assignments.

He has to wave his homework at me so I can see it is done. I have to see it in the binder in the morning.

We are slowly working on his binder and folders systems. He doesn't believe in them, which is why they weren't working before, but at least he is giving it a chance now. Over the weekend we will refine it.

I'm reading "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week" and one helpful thought (among many) is to work on just a few new tools, tasks, techniques each week, adding on as you go. I hope by the break he will be caught up, with nothing to do but study for finals and start the AP prep.