Originally Posted by geofizz
How do you deal with a kid who WON'T write, seems to have no ideas there to present, but when he does come up with something, it's along the lines of "I hesitate to go trick-or-treating tonight because my cheeks will sting in the bitter wind."

It's ironic because DD seems to have no problems making up "stories" about things going on in real life (eg grossy exaggering or lying). "Why didn't you clean up your floor the way I asked?" "Because my light burned out and I couldn't see anything. I went to look for a new lightbulb and couldn't find one." "Huh? Light looks Ok to me." She's made up elaborate stories of things that happened at school, like conversations with people that never occurred, and is very convincing. Yet seems to have no creativity or ideas when actually asked to make up a story or act out a story. It's very frustrating. She does seem to do better with writing if it's factual information that can just be rewritten or explained, but does the bare minimum possible with very little detail.