Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
Originally Posted by aeh
And I'll add that, for the lower end of the SES and academic achievement spectrum, which does overlap disproportionately with less-involved parents (making no judgement on why they are less-involved), there is a decent amount of research suggesting that involving those students in organized team sports has beneficial effects on their academic achievement and other positive life outcomes. For those children, sport is a way of helping them stay engaged in school and their futures.

Exactly why I don't think school sport teams should exclude children, definitely rank teams in order of ability if need be, but don't only have the a and b teams. I was useless at sport but I really enjoyed it at school.

Also the whole sports thing is rampant in Australia and NZ, I'm sure Puffin and Squishy can back me up here. The All Blacks currently in Chicago are gods here - if you don't have some interest in rugby you really are on the outer - unless you are a women, of course - there's netball for the ladies..... At least in the US you have a range of sports that are social currency.
My DS's H.S. there is at least one sport per season (and many 2) for each boys & girls that do not require trying out. (Ie.. anyone can join) Track in the spring is one example. Most teams have up to 3 levels, freshman, jr varsity & varsity. So while you might not play the sport you want or get into varsity you can participate anyway. Plus activities such as marching band will take you even if you have never played an instrument. And we have a few "teams' that are clubs, for example the ultimate Frisbee team that take all comers.

What really happens is KIDS sports are a huge part of suburban life and those who aren't athletic drop out WAY before H.S. A lot of this comes from the peers, not necessary the coaches. (My DD played 4 years of fast pitched softball and her coaches were great but by junior high it was the other kids who discouraged her.) Most students who play at the H.S. level have played a sport for years many at the private club level. But they do diversify, lots of soccer through junior high. But those kids go into football, lacrosse, soccer, and water polo. (The later particularly if they also did swim team in the summer.) But my opinion is that organized sports starts too early (before K) and it's hard for those kids who wait till they are more emotionally ready at 4th & 5th grade to start.

What I would love to see is more intramural sports at the H.S. level. We have some of this, I've heard of lunchtime doge-ball & basketball tournaments. But they are informal & parents don't necessary hear about it if a child isn't involved. All of the larger pubic university's in my area have extensive intramural sports for their students. These are informal groups of students, who play low stakes games mostly for the fun & exercise.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/30/14 09:02 PM.