I don't love this article. The mindset he promotes may be okay for HS sports, but he seems to be promoting it for ALL youth sports at all ages. Come on now. I'm glad my son's sports coach is playing all the kids equally, including the stars, the kids who are not good, and the middle-of-the-roaders. I find it totally inspiring to watch some of the least competent kids make improvements. If you want to be on a super-competitive team in HS that goes to state, sure, don't expect to play every game, but that is not why I signed my child up to play rec league ball. He's doing it because it's fun and good exercise and good for him in lots of ways.

Nearly every parent ever [this one included], at one time or another in the dark recesses of their minds, fancies a scenario where their son or daughter can master this or that sport well enough to earn a free-ride to college.

What a weird, myopic statement. I have never "fancied" this scenario, and I'm very sure my parents (every parent EVER?) never did either.

Of course, I find sports marginally important to my life. I do enjoy watching my son play ball more than watching him compete in chess, though. That's a snooze.