Originally Posted by polarbear
I am not an athlete, but I do value participation in sports, as do most of the other people I know here in my little corner of America. I also really enjoy watching American football and soccer! And other sports. I value having my children participate in sports - not because it's some glorified activity that will make them some type of super-hero star, but because it's good for our health and spirit. That's *all* of my family. I also have one child who is very athletically talented - she has yet to meet a sport she can't excel at. Gymnastics is her passion, she competes, and she practices with her team five nights a week for 3 hours each night. Similar schedule perhaps to the foreign exchange student who joined the football team in high school. The thing about the kids I know who participate in truly competitive sports here in my little corner of the US - yes, it can take up a tremendous amount of time, and yes, it can be difficult to figure out how to juggle academics and homework and practice for the sport. And yes, very *very* few of the kids who participate in school sports will go on to either play sports in college and even fewer will be able to have a career in that sport. That's truly NOT why most kids are out participating in team sports - they are there practicing each night because they *love* it - they are having fun. And that fun, combined with the benefits of learning how to work together as a team, are things that *are* worth letting a child participate in.
I am also not an athlete nor are my children. (My son does do a martial art outside of school.) But I do appreciate what sports can bring to a child or another similar type activity. I'm not a football fan but I put up with it since my life now revolves around field shows at half time. What bothers me is the amount of $$ and attention that revolves around one particular male dominated sport (football). Particularly as our football team is contrary to popular culture not the popular kids, and we are more known for other sports & team competitions and the kids who win academic awards.

But my DS's H.S. encourages all the kids to participate in at least one activity outside of academics, sport, marching band, choir, the school play, the robotics club or Model UN. There are many things to choose from, we have almost 30 sports teams and 40 or so clubs. What I've heard the administrators say is that these activity help a child socially and their enjoyment of them keeps them engaged in school. The school claims that the kids they tend to loose to apathy are those who aren't involved in the school is some way.

I was skeptical except I have seen it happen with my own eyes for my children. If my son wasn't in marching band my DS15 would have lost all interest in school by now. No matter how much I complain about the marching band schedule and how busy it makes him I am very happy the sense of belonging, maturity, and purpose that the group of kids in marching band gives to my child. I don't expect that he will keep this up after High School. And I did deliberately push him towards this particular activity. But it's one of the reasons I'm trying to make things work with this public school.