You'd definitely enjoy this book, then! I just edited my post realizing I hadn't mentioned that the author compared the experiences of exchange students around the world, among others a kid who went to South Korea and was amazed at how seriously the final examinations were taken there (insanity in their own way, neither I nor the author promotes the Korean system in any way).
One anecdote was about a Korean student moving back and forth between Korea and the US with her parents and being absolutely amazed that the one exam that compared even remotely in how rigorous it was and how seriously it was taken was the presidential fitness test!

I have a nephew currently on a student exchange in the US. He is amazed that he is expected to do three hours of football practice every single school night AND then do his homework afterwards at 7 pm. As an exchange student, he is having a special and rewarding time with it but as a European he is amazed why this is considered normal or desirable for anyone who is not expecting to compete in any way professionally as an adult.

Last edited by Tigerle; 10/30/14 02:37 PM.