Originally Posted by puffin
But it is real life. At school my child does his maths in a mixed ability group - this is supposed to be good for all.concerned. therefore sports at school level should have mixed ability teams and anyone who gets more than a year ahead should be hobbled.

yep that's why I don't think school sports should feed into representative sport. If you're kid is that good/motivated, join a club and go crazy with it. When they bring in top tier classes I'll support top tier sport in school.

Have to say though in general I agree with the article, I just think that school is sometimes the ONLY place certain children will experience sport. If a child is refused entry in to a gate program they still will have average academic training, even if parents are totally clueless a standard of education can be a achieved. With sport if kids don't participate at school and parents don't encourage it after school then there are swathes of children who just don't move - with the western obesity epidemic I would think schools are a great front line defence. Team sport should be offered because of all the benefits experts suggest and those benefits shouldn't be limited to the elite by demanding average kids play social or individual sport.

Last edited by Mahagogo5; 10/28/14 09:12 PM. Reason: more thoughts