high IQ is a valid measure, but there are gifted kids who still aren't identified by the current intelligence measures, particularly 2 E kids and it can take repeated tests and different assessments to provide a true picture of their capabilities, if then. That isn't the same as gaming the system or prepping.

This is such an excellent response in light of binip's description of what she feels constitutes true giftedness, I have to say. The "high-critical, high-creativity, does not function in the classroom environment kid" is exactly the child who may not be easily identifiable with a standard boxed test.

I don't personally agree that this is the only child who need services. I actually think that's district- and school-dependent, though, which is quite a can of worms. My children need services in their area but might not have needed them in a high-performing, wealthy district where they were "less rare." They are not 2E and they are both conventional enough in what they learn that they don't have to go outside typical educational structuring to function well. But they get bored as hell.