Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Ametrine
I missed this thread when you originally posted, btw. As I read your comment above, it reminded me of the comments recently made by the CEO of Microsoft. Satya Nadella-Good Karma

Even though he later apologized for his remark, I think the sticky residue of what was said is not going to go away.
I don't think what he said was unreasonable, but nowadays political correctness matters more than truth. "Why Men Earn More" (2005) by Farrell is a good, realistic book on the issue.

Are you suggesting women shouldn't self-advocate or self-market in the same way that men have proven to do successfully?

Nadella's comment rather explicitly suggests that women do not merit equal voice in their career management, holding experience, performance, and qualifications equal, by dint of their being female. It's another strain of paternalistic anti-woman messaging, and subtly anti-freedom of speech. If he can't legally limit women through legitimate power, he'll exert his coercive and referent power to induce them to self-handicap by poisoning the work culture. Tone at the top is everything when it comes to anti-woman enculturation.

Don't for a second fantasize that Nadella's comments are in any way innocuous. To brush it off as an offense against political correctness is to give his statement tacit approval.

What is to give light must endure burning.