Personally, seeing the scores was an eyeopening experience. DS is 2e so we had shockers on both ends of the spectrum and it has helped us understand him and help him in so many ways. I personally don't think of it as a fixed number or a fixed destiny so overall even with a single numeric snapshot it is still only that, a single snapshot. Day to day we deal with what is in front of us at the time.

It has also made us think about our own experiences in a slightly different light than I would have otherwise. DH and I were talking about this on the weekend and I said I knew we were smart but I never thought we were 1/1000 smart or 1/10000 smart or whatever. DH just looked at me and laughed. Even with all that has happened I still don't think of it that way since I work with some people that I view as truly smart and I'm just "average" wink It keeps me more than humble.

I would also add that in school growing up I figured out pretty young that school was a necessary evil and did what I needed to get through and get to my end career. My parents had no idea that I spent most of the day reading novels under my desk or teaching other kids during math or physics class (I liked doing it and felt bad that the teachers were doing such a horrendous job of teaching stuff they didn't fully understand and were unable to explain in 10 different ways until they found one that clicked with a kid). I never thought to complain because in my eyes there were no other options. I just made the best of the situation which luckily for me and those around me was rather constructive. I have friends that had different coping mechanisms which is why I'm a lot more paranoid when it comes to my kids getting through the system.