Typing this on a phone. We definitely praise effort in this house rather than some ephemeral label-related quality. And my daughter does not even know what the test was for, of course. I have no intention of sharing the scores with her. It is too much for a small child to process.

I'm not sure one test is that meaningful... I think that's why I'm asking for a mantra. Logically, I realize that it would be useful if we really needed services but that it's not meaningful in a sense of valuing her ability.

I do have an idea of a services-needing gifted child, but that is not my image of a smart child, a bright child, or a high performing child. It is rather the type of child who is so driven to engage that refusing her the opportunity could be painful. It is for this child that gifted programs exist. The high-critical, high-creativity, does not function in the classroom environment kid. I mean most kids are bored with rote learning. Everyone hates worksheets designed for remedial learners. With gifted kids it is something different.

Otherwise, why spend public money on it?

Anyway... Reading this message board gives me the feeling that I could probably test until I found her awesomeness, if I needed that number.

What I want is not to need a number. Maybe I have found my own mantra. smile thanks for letting me vent!