For as long as she doesn't make that distinction, and genuinely thinks it takes her 40 mins to do this work, there's no hope. I think.

Could be? I don't know. I actually had DH sit with her and watch her work yesterday, to see how much time she was off task. Answer? Not a lot, though she did tend to jabber soemwhat to DH. She finished the work faster with him in the room, but one math sheet (front and back) still took an hour+. It is laborious math, but not difficult for her. Okay, it is quite laborious. They are doing things like 7893.43/ 56.01. (I just made that up, but division of lengthy decimals, basically) This is 6th grade Common Core math (she is in 5th) so not extremely advanced or anything. I do feel she finds it more challenging than past work. I wonder if she is hitting a slight wall, math-wise.

The child doesn't have an issue with doing school work at school, because that's what that time is for, and she has nothing better to do. At home, there's resentment, because that's perceived as her free time, homework is an unwelcome encroachment, and there are many ways she could be spending that time. So, how can the experience be made less miserable?

This is an interesting perspective. Yes, she is resentful. She hates the homework. She has been asking me recently to homeschool her, which is new. (My response to this is basically, "No, because they would find both our dead bodies on the living room floor.") I need to explore that statement further, because she will say she is socially happy at school and the work is not too hard, but still we get that. She does have two good friends who are HSed and whose parents are pretty vocal about the disadvantages of public schooling.