Originally Posted by ultramarina
Just noticed that today's marathon "HW" session somehow resulted in a new poem half-tucked away on a corner of her desk...

It breaks my heart a little because she is intensely creative, and some of what happens is that the creativity is struggling to escape during school and HW time both. She has a lot of fire in her to Make...

We used to find drawings (especially what you might call illustrated text) under the same circumstances. Even now, I'll walk over to check on work and find drawings, or miniature letters intended for the youngest sibling's imaginative play, or lesson planning for teaching the little sibling (!). But now it's okay, because we don't have all of this happening on top of a 6 or 7 hour school day; it's happening during the homeschool day, and I can feel free to adjust the goal list for the day to accommodate spontaneous interests. (It's not like we'll fall behind the public schools' academic expectations!)

Does your DD have any outlets for her creativity during the school day? Or is it all "serious" academics, all the time?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...