Originally Posted by blackcat
I have hypermobile joints and have never been able to hold a pencil normally. I remember my elem. school teachers "trying"...but were never successful. They made me write with one of those triangle pencil grips. I remember the other girls' nice handwriting and mine looked babyish in comparison. But I don't think it was ever as bad as DS's. My writing is fine now but my hand does hurt if I write too long.

I can bend my thumb all the way back to touch my forearm and when I broke my elbow, I had to have PT to try to get my arm to straighten out (for a while it was stuck at a 45 degree angle). Since my unbroken elbow bent backwards to some degree, the PT had problems figuring out what is "normal" for my arms because they are not like other peoples'. I suspect DS is the same way but I'm not sure to what extent. I'm not going to try to force his thumb backwards, for instance. He is definitely low tone and that is related to hypermobility. He still can't jump off surfaces more than 2 or 3 feet tall without his legs collapsing. Strangely, his firsts cousin is exactly the same (but worse), but the cousin is on Dh's side of the family, not mine. Whatever DS's issue is, it's probably hitting him from both sides of the family.

Wow. This is interesting. I am hypermobile and I suspect my ds12 is as well.