Originally Posted by Amber
AEH mentioned NVLD as a possibility, and everything but the social aspects sounds like him. Coordination issues, fine motor weakness, etc.

I think I've already mentioned this in the other thread, but just in case I didn't - my ds has a similarly large gap in PSI, although the coding isn't quite as low (but it's low!). Like your ds he also has symptoms that match many of the symptoms of NVLD, but not the social aspects. In my ds' case, the issue is Developmental Coordination Disorder (dyspraxia). Quite a few of the symptoms of NVLD, ADHD, DCD, and autism spectrum disorders overlap - that's why it's better to let a professional sort out what's up before investing a lot of time trying to figure out the diagnosis on your own. Definitely look closely at what's going on with your child - for example, are they having issues with a particular type of academic work, difficulties with fine motor etc - and go ahead and put accommodations in place as you can etc… but don't over think the actual diagnosis ahead of time.

We are looking for a neuropsych now, but I really want to find someone who deals with gifted kids.

If you can find one that's great, but don't put off seeing a neuropsych if you can't. The neuropsych we've seen does *not* specialize in gifted kids - there is a psychologist local to us who tests children for gifted programs, but not a neuropsychologist who specifically works with gifted children. The neurospychologist worked out well for us - and the psychologist who sees a lot of gifted children didn't have the breadth of testing and background necessary to diagnose DCD vs NVLD etc.

The 3 in coding has really thrown me. I don't want to read too much into one score, but at the same time, I want to be proactive.

FWIW, my dd who had vision issues scored *below* the 1st percentile on the coding test when she took the WISC (prior to diagnosis of her vision issues). She's fine! The low score was completely unrelated to anything other than not being able to focus on the symbols. With my ds, his low coding score was related to a larger issue that's required a lot more work to deal with… but he's doing really well too. Try not to let the number freak you out - I look at those low scores as data points, not defining points.

Does anyone have experience with a scatter like this? How should I proceed?

Decide on a neuropsych, get your appointment and go from there. In the meantime, think through everything you see that might be an issue or challenge for your ds, so that you'll have your questions and concerns ready to go at your initial neuropsych intake appointment.
[/quote]

Best wishes,

polarbear