Originally Posted by aeh
Originally Posted by Amber
Originally Posted by aeh
Low PSI and coding scores have many possible causes, some of which have already been listed here, including: inattention, impulsivity (if high error rate), fine-motor deficits, vision, perceptual weaknesses, anxiety, depression, perfectionism, fatigue, sleep disorders, allergies, psychomotor retardation as a medication side effect.

So how it presents in real life depends on what the etiology is.

If it is something that affects handwriting, you may not see it that easily if he is not doing timed activities, as he may be able to be accurate, if slow.

Thank you aeh! I'm intrigued by the allergy mention. Ds has multiple food and environmental allergies as well as EoE.
There is research that finds that children with environmental allergies display decreased attention during allergic reaction episodes. There are also drags on attention/executive function that occur as side effects of medications for allergies and asthma. For most children, the net effect of med side effects is less severe than that of going unmedicated, especially on a bad day.

This is indeed intriguing as my ds has several allergies as well and has been treated on an off for years with medication that has affected his mood. I've often wondered if it has affected his cognitive functioning as well.