Originally Posted by aeh
I'm assuming you mean the WISC-IV, since Pearson told my secretary a few days ago that they had not started shipping the WISC-V yet. (I thought mine had arrived, but it wasn't in the shipping.)

140 on the SBV and 138 GAI on the WISC-IV are not significantly different. Keep in mind that there is no measure of processing speed on the SBV. His WJIII achievement scores are also quite consistent. So from a global perspective, I wouldn't see any reason to question the validity of the results, nor to be overly concerned about academic progress. I would agree that the place to look would be the fluency measures on the WJIII. If they are equally low, then I would be more concerned. If they are at least high average (110+), I would be less concerned.

Do you observe any behaviors in school or at home that would be consistent with slow processing speed, visual/fine-motor weaknesses, or impaired automaticity?

Yes, I definitely observe behaviors! I should mention he is homeschooled, so we've been working around his speed and attention issues. He's a daydreamer, he has a hard time focusing, unless it's hyper focus.

His fluency scores on the WJ were all over 100, his lowest being writing fluency at 107.

His WJ-III scores,
Broad reading, 144
broad math, 135
broad written 140
academic skills 152
total achievement 146

I guess I was thinking his scores on the WISC (And yes, it was the IV, I must have missed the I when I typed this last night!) would be a little higher, I didn't think it would come out to DYS 145, but I thought he'd get closer. I was planning on doing the portfolio with the WJ-III, but at this point, I don't know that I'd even apply, since he seems more moderately gifted than profoundly according to his IQ. I probably need to read more about the requirements and characteristics of different levels of gifted kids.

Thanks for all of your help everyone! It was suggested that he be medicated for ADD (he's not hyperactive, just spacey. :))when he was around 5, but I felt it was too young, so now I'm just sensitive about this, in case I made the wrong choice!

Last edited by Amber; 09/11/14 06:45 AM.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.