Originally Posted by polarbear
I wouldn't mind doing a full evaluation. We are within a day's drive of Dr Amend, but now I need to wait a year, unless we just skip the IQ portion.

On the off chance that there's something going on and you might be able to help with remediation early rather than wait, I'd recommend asking if you can pursue an eval now, using the IQ/achievement test results you already have.

The psych put in the report that he was making sure every line was perfect, and talking through things out loud, so she thinks its a perfectionist issue.

It might be… otoh it might not. My dyspraxic/dysgraphic ds had a significantly low coding score the first time he was tested, and the psych doing the testing also noted the very same things - he appeared to be making sure every mark was perfect, moving really slow, appeared to (in the psych's words) "not understand the importance of moving fast for a timed test." That round of testing was for a gifted program, and through a psych who wasn't looking for any type of challenge, and who didn't review any developmental history or look at any academic work or do any additional testing to check to see if it might be something more than perfectionism. At the time, I honestly thought ds was a perfectionist because he moved slowly and carefully and thoughtfully when doing his schoolwork. Two years later when he was tested by a neuropsychologist, his performance on coding was similar to the first test, but the neuropsychologist was looking at his performance through a different lens (was looking for challenges because he was struggling in school with attention and output), was familiar with his developmental history (through a parent interview), and had additional tests she was able to run to tease out what was up vs was it just perfectionism. That made a huge difference in understanding what was really going on.

polarbear