Originally Posted by Amber
I'm just really confused about the psi and coding scores. Can anyone elaborate on what this weakness would look like in everyday life? The only thing I can think of is handwriting, and even then, it doesn't seem like he's in the 7th or 1st percentile.

I don't know that you'll ever know for sure how much (if any) impact your ds had on his own coding subtest score if he did purposely go slow or whatever.... Until he has another coding subtest or similar test. You can, however, test his handwriting speed at home - have him write the alphabet, upper and lower case, from A to Z and time him while. He does it. To get the most accurate time, I wouldn't let him know he's being timed. Then divide the total number of letters written by the total number of minutes to get letters/minute, then compare that to same-age and/or same-grade level peers by googling "letters per minute second grade" etc.

I don't know your ds, but there are a few red flags I see in your posts that suggest a lower coding score might be real. The thing to focus on though isn't just the coding score and trying to understand what it would look like - but to look at the broad functioning of your ds, any challenges you see him having, and then look at the subtest score s and other data to see what fits. He's been evaluated for suspicions of ADHD in the past, you see some things that look like NVLD, fwiw Developmental Coordination Disorder, NVLD, ASD all share symptoms in common. It's most likely going to take a professional look throu a comprehensive evaluation to really understand what's going on.

FWIW re what a low coding score *might* look like - for one child, with DCD, which in and of itself presents differently in every person who is impacted by it, my ds at 7 years old, prior to diagnosis, delayed or fought doing any type of homework that related to writing. It wasn't obvious to myself or any of his teachers that his handwriting was any worse than any other student in his class. He didn't tell us anything was wrong but he did get mad when he had to do homework and he didn't seem to be working at the level we thought he would be working at based on his verbal communication. We didn't realize his incredibly deep complex verbal communication was one-sided in that there were only certain kinds of conversations he was having. He had a few develop,entail things that we just thought of as cute and quirky - things like crawling late and then not crawling any more, talking late etc, not wanting to out on his jacket, screaming when it was time to go to skiing lessons, silly things that just looked like little kid behavior. In school when worksheets were passed out he acted like the class clown or he daydreamed untl he got the two minute warning to finish them. In second grade, he became extremely anxious and we started getting reports from the teacher that something wasn't right, that he must have ADHD. That's all what it looked like pre-diagnosis. Neither his teachers or us (parents) had a clue what was really going on. And his ped never caught on to anything as a concern at his well-child checkups.

Best Wishes,

polarbear