Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by Amber
My DS coding was 3!

Amber, that's a really low coding score - I'm guessing his symbol search score was significantly higher (to get the average value you have for Processing Speed, even though it's in the lowish average range)?

Yes, I definitely observe behaviors! I should mention he is homeschooled, so we've been working around his speed and attention issues. He's a daydreamer, he has a hard time focusing, unless it's hyper focus.

I suspect if he's having a tough time with focusing that coding might be very difficult, and symbol search might be less difficult - but that's just a guess - I have no actual training in this so my suspicions aren't anything you should trust lol!

This sounds a lot like possibly ADHD, but otoh, it might also be describing a child who is faced with a task they can't perform easily. Homeschooling is great on the one hand because you can work around issues that arise, but otoh sometimes when you're working around issues you might not even realize something is an issue or that you are working around something - simply because you're responding to your child's needs and he's not faced with the same types of across-the-board every-student-must-complete-work-one-way situation that kids in b&m school are thrown into.

Did this recent eval include anything other than ability/achievement testing? Your ds has been evaluated for ADHD in the past - have any of the evals he's had been through either a neuropsychologist or an educational psychologist who included extended testing such as visual-motor integration, executive functioning, fine motor, a parent interview going over developmental history and a look at his academic work products from school? If you haven't had that type of in-depth review of your ds' academic functioning, it *might* be worth doing.

polarbear

It was just achievement and IQ. As far as the "ADD" diagnosis, it was off a checklist, and at the time, I didn't really think it was that accurate. His symbol search was a 9, which also sounds low. I posted his scores on page 2 of this thread, I just got them in the mail this afternoon.

I wouldn't mind doing a full evaluation. We are within a day's drive of Dr Amend, but now I need to wait a year, unless we just skip the IQ portion.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.