Originally Posted by cbls
Polarbear - we suggested to the psychologist that our son was 2e, he also suffers from terrible anxiety and has been diagnosed with adhd. There was no testing of motor skills done,there was a visual and auditory test done though.

aeh and Frank22 - I apologize, as I am not very familiar with these tests and although we kept asking the psychologist to explain things in laymen terms we still aren't clear as to what all this means in detail.

These are the scores from his WISC, if I'm leaving out any that would be helpful please let me know which ones and I will post them

VCI 44
PRI 50
WMI 25
PSI 27
FSIQ 146

One thing that was explained to us was about the digits forward and digits backward - he said that ds did better on the backwards span than the forwards, which often happens with gifted children because backwards is more challenging to a gifted child. He said this may explain why ds sometimes has difficulty in classes that you would think would be easy for him, basically he tunes out because it's not stimulating enough so he does poorly. Does that make sense?

Thank you all for you help, I really do appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks, cbls. It appears you've listed the sums of scaled scores for the four factor indices (VCI, PRI, WMI, PSI). Perhaps you could send us the standard scores (I don't have my tables with you, so these are not real numbers, but they should look something like VCI 135 PRI 142, WMI 117, PSI 120), and the GAI.

From what you've listed though, it appears the GAI and FSIQ got transposed in the report, and it is the GAI which is the 146, and the FSIQ which is the 135. The subtests in the WMI average 12.5, which is in the High Average range (equivalent to about the 110s). The PSI subtests, which are slightly higher, average 13.5, which is also in the High Average range, and should generate a PSI around 120ish. In other words, the subtests which contribute to the GAI are, on the average, higher than those which contribute to the CPI (WMI/PSI), particularly than the WMI.

On the DSF and DSB: yes, that is not extremely unusual in gifted children, and also in those with other reasons for not attending to minimally-engaging activities (ADHD, emotional interference, medication, insomnia/poor sleep hygiene, etc.). Sometimes I also see it in kids with a skewed profile that favors visual memory, which may also be somewhat true of your dc, based on the scores you've provided.

Oh! I think I just figured out what happened: I think you have scores in the wrong columns. The FSIQ you have listed is exactly the same as the sum of all the subtests, which is why you've sent us only sums of subtests. Maybe your column headings are off in the formatting of the report? You're looking for a column called "Standard Scores" or "Composite Scores". It may not be the first column, which, if the psych uses the same software I do, lists the sums of subtest scores. The next column is the actual index scores (Composite Scores), which will be numbers in the low to mid hundreds. After that should be a percentile (probably in the 80-99 range), then a confidence interval (two numbers separated by a dash, more-or-less centered on the Composite Score), ending with a Qualitative Description.

crossed with you frank. I see we are thinking along the same lines.

Last edited by aeh; 08/07/14 06:10 PM. Reason: comment

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...