Originally Posted by Frank22
Originally Posted by cbls
I have been reading through the forums and also online about the FSIQ and GAI. From what I've read it seems like the GAI typically winds up being several points higher than the FSIQ. My ds has the opposite results and I can't seem to find anything about why that might be or how to interpret the score. Something that has been mentioned is a possible LD.

His FSIQ is 146, his GAI is 135.

Can anyone clarify or direct me to a reference that can explain what this might mean? The tester had no information, just explained why they calculated the GAI, and we're not sure where to go next.

Thanks!

The general ability index tends to be higher than the full-scale IQ in high IQ persons because the tests that enter into it are more g-loaded, on average, than those of the full-scale IQ. For example, the general ability index is measured by highly g-loaded tests such as vocabulary, similarities, matrix reasoning, and the like, while excluding low-level processing tasks such as digit span, coding, and et cetera. Still, full-scale IQ is a better estimate of Spearman's g than is the general ability index because of the greater generality of the tasks that enter into it.

Based on the scores you listed, I've calculated your son's CPI as being about 163. That means that his aptitude for low-level processing tasks is exceptional. Perhaps if you list his actual test scores I can make a more comprehensive statement about his abilities.

Frank22, cbls didn't list any scores besides the GAI and FSIQ in this thread. A CPI of 163 (actually 162) is simply the max score possible on the DW-II, which I would agree is a reasonable estimate of the CPI if her original FSIQ and GAI are correct, which may be in doubt, based on what momof3 just pointed out. What CPI tables are you using, btw?

Momof3, you make a good observation. Apparently you have better reading comprehension than the rest of us!

cbls, if you could clarify: what is the rank order, highest to lowest, of the Index scores (VCI, PRI, WMI, PSI)?

Sorry, crossed in the post.

Last edited by aeh; 08/07/14 05:48 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...