Originally Posted by Quantum2003
Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
I also don't see any real contradiction either. Parental ability to pay (and I would add parental ability to provide tutoring or otherwise impart knowledge) is one component that results in advantages to these kids but their own hard work is also a necessary component.

I've never understood why anyone would call extra studying in an air-conditioned, well-lit environment "hard work," especially among the gifted cohort. Sure, it's work, because you'd rather be doing something else, but it's safe, comfortable, and quiet.

I chose to ascend the socioeconomic ladder primarily because I tried hard work, and found I didn't care for it.

Well, there's that difference in perspective again! I do believe that it is possible for children to work hard in academics, in music, etc. In that same sense, I would consider myself as having worked hard in my profession even though most of the time it is also "safe, comfortable, and quiet".

Right, it's all about perspective.

For example, writing a research paper for school can be hard. But it's even harder when you don't have regular access to the internet or a computer. It's harder still when the area where you can work is loud and full of distractions. And it's harder yet when you haven't had enough to eat that day.

For someone who has no experience with any of that, their idea of "hard" is going to be somewhat distorted.

And that's just for academic pursuits. A 10-hour shift waiting tables or working on a road crew is an orders of magnitude different kind of "hard."