In response to this there are a few colleges that are "flattening" their fee structure, and officially lowering tuition. Particularly the one my daughter is attending.

My DD was "awarded" a scholarship to attend with her acceptance package as was probably virtually everyone that they wanted to attend. This wasn't really receiving any money as much as a discount on tuition. It's a bit frustrating that is labeled as awards and aids, because you never see any money.

The school decided last year to help their marketing to have one lower fee structure and in the long run eliminate all such merit based scholarships. Quite a surprise to get a letter last year to hear the tuition was going down by 20%. Not surprisingly my daughter scholarship has been eliminated and the new cost for this year is only very slightly less that what we were paying last year. ($800 or so.) This is supposedly a marketing decision on their part, trying to attract stronger students with a simpler lower tuition costs. Supposedly the school isn't taking in any less money this way. Just getting rid of the somewhat confusing awarding of scholarships.