jaggirl - you've already gotten great advice, I have just a few things to add.

On the CELF-4, although your ds' scores are all within average range, there's one "gotcha" you might want to look for or be aware of. The CELF subtests aren't timed (or at least some of them aren't timed). My ds had a significant expressive language challenge yet he scored very well on most of the CELF subtests, including the subtest that defines his challenge. The thing was - on this one particular subtest, he took an unusually long time to answer the questions, and the SLP who administered the test noted that, noted a slight discrepancy when looking at that subtest vs his other subtests, and more significantly noted a correlation between that subtest and the things we'd observed when communicating with him. So in other words, average and above average scores on the CELF don't necessarily mean there is no expressive language challenge.

Have you tried contacting an advocate? There are advocate services (parent navigators) available in many areas that are funded by the Federal Govt. and our local advocates group was tremendously helpful in helping me advocate for an IEP for my ds in public school.

During my meeting today with the director she informed me that dyslexia is not a LD and the district is not required in any way to provide services. According to federal law and the Supreme Court they are.

After every single meeting (or phone conversation, or verbal conversation) you have when advocating, it's a good idea to send a quick email to everyone who was at the meeting (or took part in the conversation) restating what *you* heard said and you heard agreed to (or what you heard stated as concerns) - basically a summary of what was said. Then add "this is my understanding - please let me know if I've missed anything or misunderstood anything." That gives the school staff the opportunity to clarify what they've said. It's easy for people to say things off-the-cuff in meetings or one-on-one conversations that aren't technically correct - and there could be any reason for it - maybe she just wanted to get you out of her office, maybe she really meant to say that the district is not required to provide services unless a need is demonstrated, or maybe she's just clueless. Whatever the reason, send her the email. 9 times out of 10, that worked to get our school staff to back off of any type of intimidation etc that they tried thinking we (parents) didn't know what our children's rights were under the law.

The last thing I'll add is that some of what you wrote is similar to my ds who has Developmental Coordination Disorder - the not having a preferred hand until school, issues with timed tests etc. So if you're looking for other things to google, there's something for you to look at smile

Hang in there! Let us know how the district responds to your request.

Best wishes,

polarbear