My husbands concern is that he doesn't think that I am disciplined enough. I am not sure where he gets that idea except that when the kids were little, all of my friends did "Baby Wise". It didn't work for me! I feel it was because gifted kids are different. Mine have never required much sleep. Never took naps etc. My son stays up till 11 at night but he is always up on time, gets straight A's and never once has a teacher complained that he is tired.
Also, this past year with my son, we had an arrangement. He didn't like to be told when to do his homework. He is very independant. The agreement was he was responsible to do his homework, whenever he wanted under 2 conditions. It had to be done by 9pm and if he ever missed homework or his grades started dropping then he would do it when we said.
This arrangement drove my husband crazy! He didn't understand why he just wouldn't do his homework when he got home and be done with it. But my son was very happy with it and so was I. I no longer had to fight with him to do it.
I guess I am just very laid back and do not have a set schedule. HS would still work though, wouldn't it? Plus my DD is a very self directed learner. As it is, she comes home from school and makes her own assignments. She is constantly researching and making Powerpoint presentations on the things that interest her. At this point, the school actually told me that she can no longer do PPP but has to come up with other ways to do projects. So she has made private wiki's and does alot with Windows Movie Maker.
Also, I live in Florida and I have been told it is pretty easy to HS here. There are also umbrella schools that keep the records and provide testing. Also, my neighbor is a retired school teacher and she tutors alot of the HS'ers so I would have alot of support.
When I asked my DD what she thought, her first reaction was "What about my friends?" but to be honest she really doesn't have any in her grade level. Outside of school, she has no contact with kids in her grade, not that we haven't tried. I told her she would meet new people that have more in common with her and that she would be able to work ahead. That got her excited. Any ideas how to convince DH?
Thanks.
~Gatorgirl