My son and I used online resources more than anything else, but I did buy the What Your __ Grader Needs to Know books to use as a guide.

For spelling, we used the Rebecca Sitton High Frequency Word List that we found online and we went over the basic spelling rules, also found online.

For vocabulary, he liked SAT Vocabulary Cartoons and when he finished those, he made up his own mnemonics to remember definitions and he also got in the habit of looking up any word that he didn't know the exact meaning of. He has used Grammar with a Giggle books and different online sources for grammar like Power Proofreading and Every Day Edits.

He used Aleks for math.

For reading, I let him read whatever he wants. He sometimes takes the quiz on sparknotes.com after we read a classic book.

He liked the Story of the World books and history encyclopedias and reading historical fiction to go along with whatever history he was studying. He watches a lot of History channel. He plays computer games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth.

For geography, we just use National Geographic magazine, an atlas, a globe, and map puzzles and online geography games.

He looks up a lot of things on Wikipedia. Sometimes he likes to click on "random article" to read just for fun.

He watches shows on the science channel. He is reading a college level science history book. He watches science videos on cosmeo.com.

He is interested in the news so he reads the news online.

He watches trivia game shows and when he doesn't know the answer to something, he looks it up online.