I've dealt with numerous kids either in foster care are on the edge, some gifted, some not. I bring this up because kids have all sorts of reasons for bad behavior, acting out, whatever you want to call it. Unless the child has some sort of social disability ( I don't know enough in that area to include them), it should NEVER be an excuse. Excusing bad behavior sets the child up to be an abuser of others. However, understanding what is driving bad behavior can help you to guide the child into better behavior. There is a balance. In general, I agree with Howler Karma...to whom much is given, much is required.

I tell my two gifted ones that they are gifted and brilliant, but who cares? It doesn't matter if you are brilliant. What are you going to do with it? Everybody has been given something and you can squander it away and do nothing with your life just like anybody else, but is that really the person you want to be.

I consider my job as a parent, whether in the realm of intelligence, spirituality, and talents is to train them and give them the opportunity to get the most out of what they have been given naturally and from our home environment. What they do with it as adults is on them.