We had the meeting with the new school and they said it shouldn't be a problem to grade accelerate him for math, however there would be 31 or 32 kids in the class vs. 22 if we kept him in his grade. The teacher said she can attempt to give him work at the right level. The current teacher thinks that if we accelerate the work will still be too easy and with 32 kids in the class it would be impossible for the teacher to do anything special for him to differentiate further. So now I don't know what to do.

I think I will start a new thread about student/teacher ratio and what is normal, because this seems really absurd to me.

His current teacher was adamant that he not be given any second grade work next year--she told the new teacher that would be a complete waste of time even if she did enrichments. I think they used to work together and the teacher told Dh after the meeting that she is going to talk more about it to the new teacher over the summer. After our experience with the last school and how negative everyone was (it was like they were going out of their way to make sure DS didn't learn anything), I could practically weep with gratitude.

Right now the plan is to NOT accelerate and see how things go for a couple weeks in the fall, then decide.